Top 7 – What Is SEO? – Answers
I’ve been at this Website design and SEO game for close to 20 years. On average, I probably get asked this question at least 5 to 10 times a week.
What is SEO?
This question is usually asked by people who have a business, or are starting a business, and they say
“I want a great Website and I need it SEO’d, but I’m not really sure what that even means.”
What I will try to do here is provide 7 quick, simple, non-technical answers to the question.
What is SEO?
- SEO is an Acronym – “Search Engine Optimization” (SEO) You may also have heard it referred to as “Organic” search results.
- SEO is an Area/Place In Google – SEO is the area/place in Google directly below the Google Ads or Google Map. The maps in Google are NOT SEO. Those maps can help your SEO efforts but they are not directly SEO.
- SEO is “Search Marketing” – Meaning, you are marketing to people who are in Google searching for something. If you own a business, want to show up in Google, you have basically two options. Google Ads, or SEO. Google Ads, or PPC, are quick and easy to implement. Need leads tomorrow, you can get them with Google ads. SEO on the other hand…..#7 below.
- SEO is Hard Work – You cannot pay Google to put your business in the SEO section. You have to convince Google you deserve to be in the SEO section. That’s hard to do if there are a lot of companies that offer the same services you offer. How much does SEO cost?
- SEO is a Popularity Contest – Google looks at “Everything” about your company (Your Website, Your Google Business Profile, Your Social Presence, Who else talks about you on their Website, How popular you are on the news, etc) Google factors all these things into where they place you in the SEO section. Click here if you want to know some of the things you can do to win the popularity contest.
- SEO is NOT Technical – You don’t need to be a Web designer, or be a computer nerd to get good SEO for your company. You just need to know how to make your company more popular in a way that Google notices you.
- SEO Takes A Long Time – If you are in a competitive industry, the folks that are currently on the first page of Google in the SEO section have already won the popularity content. You have to start today to, over time, become more popular than they are. For competitive industries you have to start now, and you have to keep at it, month after month, year after to year.
KC Web Specialists are always glad to be there to help you sort out Web and SEO related issues. Please contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.